Saturday, April 6, 2013

A Quilt Top & a Visit to a Fabric Shop

This week, I started making a quilt top to donate to my church for an auction to raise money for youth group activities.  I needed something I could complete quickly, since it is due this Sunday.  I've known about it for a while, but have been feeling wishy-washy about doing it.  (Will someone actually pay money for my creation or will there be the crushing sound of silence when it's up for auction?  Or  worse, will someone bid on it out of pity?  Pity for me?  Pity for the youth?)  Moving on.. I picked a Kona solids roll-up in the classic palette that I've had for a while & decided to sew them all together in the order they came in, except the neutrals.  I cut those into 5 strips & then added a gray on gray chevron print in between.  I'm hoping that the gray helps to calm the color chaos down a little.

What do you think?


It measures about 56" x 70", so a nice-sized throw or possibly even a twin.


I am using this flannel as backing fabric.

Today, my youngest son, Nathaniel, who is 4 years old, had a follow-up appointment with the pulmonologist at Children's Medical Center.  He was hospitalized in the ICU 2 times last year for severe asthma attacks.
This was taken in Sept 2012.  

Anyway, after the appointment, it occurred to me that since I was already in downtown Dallas, I might as well swing by a fabric shop that is close by.  I had never been to City Craft before, but had eyed it online several times, so I jumped on the chance to visit a modern fabric shop.  It is a cute shop with lots of great fabric lines.  I will definitely be going back soon to get some laminated cotton or oilcloth and some ruffle fabric.  Here are my treats from today:


I bought Aurifil thread for the first time, so I am excited to try it and see what all the fuss is about.  The top row of fabrics were from the remnant bin.  They include fabric from Washi, Bella, Notting Hill (home dec weight) and Typewriters by Melody Miller.  Typewriters is about 16" x WOF and was marked at $9.99, but happily, it was discounted to less than half at check-out.    

The other fabrics are 2 prints from the new Carnaby Street line, 4 prints in coordinating colors from Michael Miller's Stitch Square & Stitch Circle, another Bella print.  I'm not sure what the other fabric is, but I liked it.  

I'm very glad that I finally got to visit a new fabric store and one that is most certainly modern.  There are several more in the area that I want to visit, but they are even farther away, so I will just have to plan out some special trips in the near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment